View Full Version : Do NOT press These popups!

Capn_Leandro
02-07-2007, 04:23 AM
Hello VMKers. Im warning you about a serius problem. The POP UPS for free stuff! They are hackers and sending you viruses. DO NOT TRUST THEM!

They can hack you buy going to your email adress sending you a virus. I experimented this, The results were:

Free Playstation 3- 56 new viruses
Free Laptop: 92 new viruses

never trust these! So NEVER PRESS THESE! THIS IS YOUR WARNING!

Hope this helps, Arr, Leandro :pirate:

smrtfriendship
02-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Wow. That's a lotta viruses. I never trusted these pop-ups in the first place.

Thanks for the warning though!

AceGoalkeeper
02-07-2007, 05:31 AM
I always ignore them, or course. I have never tried them once, because i KNOW it's a trick.

- Ace

Capn_Leandro
02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Yes, very indeed. These copanies should be arested!

alubadubdub
02-07-2007, 09:33 PM
I have never belived those, they are so stupid. Who would actually belive that!

You should see how many viruses for a free iPod.

~LUB

SuperInfernoBoy
02-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Great advice! Always be careful online!

Inferno!

Appleonia
02-07-2007, 09:54 PM
honestly. do you really believe someone over the internet wants to give you a free laptop? or anything, as a matter of fact.

Capn_Leandro
02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
honestly. do you really believe someone over the internet wants to give you a free laptop? or anything, as a matter of fact.

I was testing this........ want to know what came to my house today? The bill for the laptop and playstation 3! :@

Dudetteroxs
02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I was testing this........ want to know what came to my house today? The bill for the laptop and playstation 3! :@

You're kidding, right?!

PaperClip
02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I was going to say that there would still have to be a price you would pay.

Shipping and Handling
The service that they want you to subscribe too
The new computer

cooldad210
02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
i have a pop up blocker.

Capn_Leandro
02-07-2007, 10:52 PM
You're kidding, right?!

no im not

Arr!, Cap'n Leandro:pirate:

BelieveNTheMagic
02-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I have my pop up blocker to help me ;)

CubbyDoggie
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I got one a while ago, when I didn't have a PopUp Blocker.

I got a PopUp that said, "FREE XBOX! CLICK HERE NOW!" So I clicked it and it brought me to a form asking for person information, such as:

First Name
Last Name
Phone Number
Address
etc.

I stopped as soon as it asked for my last name..

Capn_Leandro
02-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I got one a while ago, when I didn't have a PopUp Blocker.

I got a PopUp that said, "FREE XBOX! CLICK HERE NOW!" So I clicked it and it brought me to a form asking for person information, such as:

First Name
Last Name
Phone Number
Address
etc.

I stopped as soon as it asked for my last name..

DO NOT DO THAT! But samples from shampoos etc are not viruses! i ordered some for my mom!

Zebraa
02-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Does this apply to Macs too? I haven't faced any viruses on my Mac. I have a lot on my PC though XD I get a new one, like everyday, even if I don't use it! It's insane!

Rainy_days
02-08-2007, 01:30 AM
well not really for macs because there are like what 10 viruses or so for macs so far. still good to be careful though i know somebody who got one and had to delete everything off their computer to get rid of it

DinoVan
02-08-2007, 05:49 PM
is this only is we put in our email? or if we click to go to the website for it?

Chaelle
02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Pop-ups are annoying, why would we trust them anyways?
Wait, don't answer that.
~Chaelle

PaperClip
02-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I have my pop up blocker to help me ;)
i have a pop up blocker.
Those don't always work, as you might know.
is this only is we put in our email? or if we click to go to the website for it?
Umm, both. You have to go to a certain website that is infected with these, then you put your personal info in.

chorustwo
02-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I clicked one of the "free iPods" Because I am that desperate. But before I did I read this, so thank you! I am too desperate I'll fall for anything!!
Thx
~Cooly

Bellezza
02-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Ya I'd never trust those. I mean a free playstation, or a free designer's bag. Yo've got to be kidding me.

Capn_Leandro
02-09-2007, 12:57 AM
I clicked one of the "free iPods" Because I am that desperate. But before I did I read this, so thank you! I am too desperate I'll fall for anything!!
Thx
~Cooly
Yw?? @_@?
Ya I'd never trust those. I mean a free playstation, or a free designer's bag. Yo've got to be kidding me.

Tell meh about it!

VanillaWillow
02-09-2007, 12:49 PM
yeah, they're stupid

PaperClip
02-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Free or not, there is some payment that you have to make. Like shipping and handling, to a new computer.

BelieveNTheMagic
02-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Those don't always work, as you might know.

I don't get any pop-ups on this site, or any other sites.

PaperClip
02-10-2007, 03:51 AM
I don't get any pop-ups on this site, or any other sites.
Trust me. There will be a time ;)

MagicMonkeys
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I NEVER trust these,they say ' You are the 1,000 person visiting this site!Click here for a free ??????? ' it doesn't say the ?'s but it's just an example.And guess what?When i come back to that site on the same day~I get the SAME pop-up!(At least some of them say that=))

Katiebcat
02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I do have a pop up blocker but it sometimes blocks vmk sign in so i have to tell it that that pop up is ok.

Dont ever press any of the popups for stuff like Xboxs , DS, ect. it is unsafe

Tanimalcrossing
02-13-2007, 12:31 AM
DO NOT DO THAT! But samples from shampoos etc are not viruses! i ordered some for my mom!
Yeah, those are fine.

Capn_Leandro
02-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah, those are fine.

Yup!

Arrr, Cap'n Leandro:pirate:

CuteGirlAcey
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Popups
Problem 2
DONT GIVE OUT YOU ADRESS THESE THINGS ARE MADE UP AND CAN LEAD TO KIDNAPPING AND WHOS FAULT WILL THAT BE.......................................
YOURS!

glowvirtualgirl
03-10-2007, 01:15 AM
i no not to click on them.Wat i do is give fake info for the ppl so it wont work and they will never do it again!!!!!!!!!!

Goofyono
03-10-2007, 01:16 AM
you don't need tell us we already know.....

BasketballFarrah
03-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Yeah it's pretty stupid.

And also, why would they give it away for free? But then again, some very stupid people. @_@

PaperClip
03-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Even if they were giving stuff away, they would soon find that they are out of money :o

Penguinz
03-18-2007, 01:27 AM
i no not to click on them.Wat i do is give fake info for the ppl so it wont work and they will never do it again!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you could cost someone else money, that's no smart. They will still send it to that address.

~Elly

rockclimbing
03-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Dude, you could cost someone else money, that's no smart. They will still send it to that address.

~Elly

fake info..

how on earth are they going to send it to a fake adress?

ex

the adress could be: gameboy land..

ive seen these popups many times..

and indeed they can be found playing side games online and winning
in emails

or sites with many many popups..

Irishchick
03-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Yea i know, the best thing to do is just close them... it's really not that hard. Just ignore them and get on with life :)

mari517
03-18-2007, 02:04 AM
I have never done one in my life!! Once my friend though, on her computer, was playing this game for a free thing on the pop up and I was like, "NOOOO!!! NO!! NO!" but she didn't listen.

:(

stka
03-18-2007, 12:29 PM
when i was like, 6 i found a ad that said "Congrats! youve won a free nintendo ds!" So I asked my mom and dad if we could do it but they said "Don't press those buttons agien!!"

Extreme_Sabu
03-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Umm thx, I wont press the POP UPS

Chaelle
03-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a pop-up blocker on my computer.
~Chaelle

AvastKrazy
03-18-2007, 11:10 PM

lol i never trust this pop up thing. it just gives you viruses and i am tecno-geek

SSweet
03-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Pop up blocker... Basically saved my life!

lemonysnicket3
03-19-2007, 03:50 AM
well i just play the little game, and close out the pop up....i personally like hitting the bully in the head xD

Twisty
03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
well i just play the little game, and close out the pop up....i personally like hitting the bully in the head xD

I also do that. :P

Zebraa
03-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Safari has a very reliable pop-up blocker, I haven't ever had 1. But on my PC, I like to play the little game, then close the window. It's not ALWAYS a trick (you can tell when it is, I mean come on, a free PS3? Get real.) though. My friend clicked on one that said free movie tickets, and he actually got them LOL

acemadhatterfan
07-06-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, Still Unsafe My mom's friend almost got scammed for her email! For a free ipod! they ask for the email adress user and pass and everything you do how you look like and stuff @_@, my mom called her and her friend canceled it she was so close to send it!! @_@ >_<

~Acemadhatterfan

mickey0794
07-06-2007, 05:15 AM
lol once i won a laptop and all i got was a t-shirt with the toshiba logo on it -_- FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!!! lol

Galaxee
07-06-2007, 05:29 AM
I don't know about older versions of Internet Explorer, but the most recent one has a VERY good pop-up blocker.

If you go to your settings (on any browser, I believe), there should be a pop-up blocker tab of some sort. Go with "Block All Pop-Ups" and you will never have to see another one again.

The only disadvantage is if you click a link that opens in a new tab/window, that usually gets blocked as well. Never fear, there is usually a button to press to get it to open. On the recent version of IE, if you middle-click on the link or right click and "open in new tab/window" it works. I think holding the ctrl button also works.

I wouldn't even trust clicking the X button on the pop-up, just go down to the bottom, right click on the window, and click "close".

Speaking of ads, I really hate the ones that... talk.... it's like "YOU WIN A FREE [insert Apple product here]"...

I'm just glad we don't have pop-up ads in real life. It's like you're just taking a test or reading a book or something and then this... thing... just pops up in front of you, and you try to swat at it like it was a mosquito or something... XD

iShadow
07-06-2007, 06:03 AM
If you ask me, if you're dumb enough to actually even pay attention to these pop-up's, you deserve a virus or two as a wake-up call. ;)

Speedway Master
07-06-2007, 06:14 AM
*Gets a pop up asking for email address*

*Checks for website admin's email address*

*Puts in website admini's email address*

Return to sender

theastroA
07-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I like the pop-up with the cursors that follow your cursor around. It's fun messing with that... :D

Thanks for the advice, some people don't realize what these pop-ups can do to you when you open it.

Wildcat
07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
It's more SPYWARE than viruses. Although viruses can come from them, too. Spyware is everywhere. It changes around things in your computer, and come from certain websites. Just be careful when you're surfing the internet.

skipper
07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
not all are virus attackers, some are real free companys, like greatamericangiveaways those i believe, ( havent tried ) are real becuz of the copy right and all the government stuff, my friends aunt got a free flat screen and she actually got it ROFL but I never click on any advertisements not even vmk advertisements just cuz of ppl who copy and spam ur comp i just go to the vmk site if that is where i wanna go ,

Speed_Bolt
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the advice!

AstroAcer
07-06-2007, 08:52 PM
It's really more spyware than viruses... and some of the giveaways are real, but in exchange for getting their stuff you get spyware on your computer.

dabaseballking
07-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, sometimes I put in wrong adresses such as youareanidiotscammer.yahoo.com and I put my info backwards. LOL

Oats
07-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Omg, I always click those and get bills for over $12,000 a month... LOL jk. Never truse pop-ups, thats why i have a pop-up blocker XD

PowerGirl
07-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Another one that used to pop up for me, it's this official-looking message saying that some viruses have been detected on my computer. THEN, it asks if you want to install something cleaner I think. Even if you close it, it will open you up to a window with it available to download. DON'T. My computer couldn't be used because of the viruses for two weeks. When the window pops open, CLOSE IT immediately. Just a warning to all :-)

-PowerGirl

sktrchick95
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
1 time when i was little my mom was on the computer and she got a pop-up saying "CONGRATS!!!!! YOU"VE WON A NEW COMPUTER!!!!!" or something like that when i saw it i was so excited im like " mommy click it click it click it!!" she was like "no it is a trick" im like "it can't be if i want a new computer" i was 6 i think. A very smart 6 year old. but i was blonde then so i was stupid when it came to computers.

i have a pop-up blocker but it never works. every other day or to there is at least 1 pop-up. :@@:

SkyRocket
07-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I dont do them anymore.. but once i really got 1 and no virus

Rodolfito
07-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I hate those popups I once got 1 that looked like this

FREE* LAPTOP

and with very small print : *With a purchase of of $5,000 or more

I didn't click it though :)

PinkTinkPixie
07-09-2007, 10:09 PM
I keep my pop-up blocker on all the time, and so a while back I decided that it would be fine if I played those little games that would get you a "free iPod", or whatever. I knew it wouldn't actually get you anything for free, but I just played the little games just for the sake of it. Well, those can give you viruses, too, even is you're just playing the games. Just clicking on them gave me a bad virus a while back, and I haven't done it since.

Some of the free iPod things will actually give you free iPods, though. It doesn't normally happen, but I knew someone who entered all of her information, and she actually DID get a free Ipod in the mail within the next few days. Haha.

~Pink

caseysaywat
07-09-2007, 10:12 PM
yeah i get pop ups for to free iPod nanos i want to more lol

TikiRoom
07-10-2007, 01:16 AM
The Browser I use blocks them, so they don't pop-up. It is like Internet Explorer, and it is, but with a different name and more advanced.

virtual_princess
07-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Lol, I learned a lot time ago when I was 7.... 127 viruses.... So I only click the honest links on the websites.
~Princess:Embar:

PrincessKairi12
07-10-2007, 06:20 AM
The pop-up blocker is such a good friend ^.^... Almost 400 pop-ups blocked. Some escape and still pop-up, though. Annoying -_-...