Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old Reasons why VMK Closed

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
VMK's New Arcade Man!!!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
PowerfulSonicMint is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Gun View Post
Here are many reasons why VMK Closed:

1) Company Split
A most likely reason that VMK might have closed is that Sulake, and Disney split on VMK. They probably had a three-year contract and then decided to not renew it.

Evidence: VMK Closed the Day before it Opened - Resembling an exact Three-Year or any year contract.

2) Taken
Disney, being a Major family company, also promoting Internet Saftey, probably didn't want taken anymore.

Evidence: Disney Opened Fairies and Cars in place of VMK. This was obviously an attempt to seperate Boys and Girls, as well as an attempt to AIM for a lower age audience.

3) Economic Recession
VMK could have closed due to Economic Recession. The Economy started going down in March, and recovered in early October. Because VMK generates no profit. This could just not do for Disney.
Yeah, VMK never made profit, but it boosted alot of money into Disney's bank account. But it's impossible for #3 to be the reason. Disney is a billionaire company, and they can never go bankrupt. That would mean huge losses of places, like their shops. If they went bankrupt, imagine Disneyland and Disney-world owned by the government!! That just wouldn't do. And #1 is definitely the right reason. Sulake and Disney DID split.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
The way I see it...

First off, exactly how much money VMK was making was probably very hard to track. Most promotions are. But VMK wasn't just a promotion. It was a promotion that was being promoted through other products (The Kellogs' Pirate codes and minigames, for example), and had several little perks that increased the sales of products it wasn't even promoting (Examples: Having VMK items in the Disney Movie Rewards programs, the Stitch hat from taking a Disney cruise, etc. etc.) It was near impossible to tell the difference who was buying what solely because of VMK, because they wanted it anyway and the VMK items sealed the deal, and who was buying the products solely because they wanted to and was unaffected by VMK's influence in it. Because of this, it could have very easily seemed VMK was a complete failure when it might have been raking in loads of money.

They could have just as easily sold VMK's quest cards as stand-alone products if they really wanted VMK to succeed, but the reasons as to why they didn't are beyond me.

Secondly, the biggest reason as to why VMK closed actually might not have been money, but because it didn't fit in. Around the time VMK closed, a new team was instated to take charge of Disney's online worlds. This team foolishly decided the best course of action was Quantity over Quality, something VMK obviously contradicted.

Combine this with the fact that this new team (like any new team in the video game industry) wanted to make a name for themselves and reshape the environment they were given as their own, and thus would have wanted to get rid of any MMOs with third party involvement (Such as VMK and it's help from Sulake) as well as anything they didn't have the power to change directly (After all, Yavn was the Creative Director of VMK. Any changes made to the game itself had to go through him first), and you can see why this could have easily lead to VMK's undeserved closure.

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 PM
VMK's New Arcade Man!!!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
PowerfulSonicMint is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordIllidan View Post
The way I see it...

First off, exactly how much money VMK was making was probably very hard to track. Most promotions are. But VMK wasn't just a promotion. It was a promotion that was being promoted through other products (The Kellogs' Pirate codes and minigames, for example), and had several little perks that increased the sales of products it wasn't even promoting (Examples: Having VMK items in the Disney Movie Rewards programs, the Stitch hat from taking a Disney cruise, etc. etc.) It was near impossible to tell the difference who was buying what solely because of VMK, because they wanted it anyway and the VMK items sealed the deal, and who was buying the products solely because they wanted to and was unaffected by VMK's influence in it. Because of this, it could have very easily seemed VMK was a complete failure when it might have been raking in loads of money.

They could have just as easily sold VMK's quest cards as stand-alone products if they really wanted VMK to succeed, but the reasons as to why they didn't are beyond me.

Secondly, the biggest reason as to why VMK closed actually might not have been money, but because it didn't fit in. Around the time VMK closed, a new team was instated to take charge of Disney's online worlds. This team foolishly decided the best course of action was Quantity over Quality, something VMK obviously contradicted.

Combine this with the fact that this new team (like any new team in the video game industry) wanted to make a name for themselves and reshape the environment they were given as their own, and thus would have wanted to get rid of any MMOs with third party involvement (Such as VMK and it's help from Sulake) as well as anything they didn't have the power to change directly (After all, Yavn was the Creative Director of VMK. Any changes made to the game itself had to go through him first), and you can see why this could have easily lead to VMK's undeserved closure.
Who was the new team? And why Quanity over Quality? Ain't that stupid of that team to think that?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulSonicMint View Post
Who was the new team? And why Quanity over Quality? Ain't that stupid of that team to think that?
Yes. Yes it is. They didn't outright say it, but if you read between the lines, that's exactly what it amounts to.

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.

Last edited by UpInTheAir; 08-27-2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: removed unallowed link