Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Disney Fan Club > Disney TV > Test Pattern

Test Pattern Do not adjust your set. This is the Archive forum for the DCFC

Old 65 Episode Rule Discussion.

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Banned

Mr.Lunatix is floating through Inner Space
65 Episode Rule Discussion.

The 65 Episode Rule is a guideline created by Michael Eisner and Frank Wells in 1984. The policy is that television series on the Disney Channel are limited to 65 episodes and are then cancelled even if they remain popular. The idea was that this would force the network to continuously create new series rather than develop too much reliance on existing ones. In addition, by taking the shows off their broadcast schedule the network creates more demand for the sale of past episodes and movies based on the series. The figure 65 has not been an exact one - series have actually been ended ranging from 62 to 66 episodes.

The first series to face cancellation under this policy was Gargoyles which was still popular when it was cancelled after 63 episodes. But fan complaints pressured the network into bringing the show back for an additional 13 episodes. Two other series, Darkwing Duck and Ducktales, also avoided the policy and ran for 91 and 100 episodes respectively. But generally, the policy has been carried out even in the face of fan disapproval. Aladdin, Goof Troop, Kim Possible and That's So Raven were all exception to the rule as well.

Some other networks have also adopted similar "65 Episode" rules, to some degree -- Nickelodeon being one of them. One example from Nick was the Rugrats television series -- that series was originally cancelled in 1994 after 65 episodes were in the can. But, after the show gained popularity through daily repeats and home video releases, Nick brought Rugrats back into production in 1996, and remained in production until 2003, when over 170 episodes were produced.

Question for you guys?
Do you think Disney has gone to far, by controlling the episode limits regardless of the popularity, we have already seen the rule break for Kim Possible and That's so Raven, besides Phil of the Future, what's another show you guys hope will go past rule?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:51 AM
On The Air!™

figmentisback is spinning in a Cursed Storm
They designed this rule because at the time.. 65 was the prime number... however they now learn that you can only repeat a show for so long... and some shows (kim possible) make them a lot of money in DVDs and murchandise.. they have extended contracts.. (another reason is they for one reason or another like the star.. and keeping the show keeps the star)
Old 04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Great Times, Great People
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: SaveVMK
Manchester United is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Exclamation What a silly rule!

Can I just say what a silly rule! Some shows are so loved by fans and some silly mans rule ruins them! No one cares in UK is a show is cancelled it is not a big deal people will be like "No" but its never said on the actual channel!

Please excuse my ignorance as I am a UK Disney Channel Watcher!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:03 PM
WDWCP Hopeful

My Mood: Lurking
levity is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I hope Naturally Sadie and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody can make it that far, they are both really good, especially Naturally Sadie. Is this why so weird got cancelled? (who doesn't like when her father appears and saves her from falling off the building)
Old 04-19-2006, 07:21 PM
On The Air!™

figmentisback is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue5c
I hope Naturally Sadie and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody can make it that far, they are both really good, especially Naturally Sadie. Is this why so weird got cancelled? (who doesn't like when her father appears and saves her from falling off the building)
Naturally Sadie has some hope of not getting cancled early.. mainlky because it is not a real disney channel original show... it is made by a canadian company and airs on the canadian family channel.. disney only got the rights to show it in the united states.. (not the first time this has happened)

So weird got cancled for this, and slightly lower raitings... Whats strange with this show is: "After 65 installments, Disney canceled the show as was standard practice at the time no matter how popular a series was. The show left syndication not long after its cancellation."

after it ended, they stopped re-runs shortly after..
Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Great Times, Great People
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
Manchester United is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Exclamation Ducktails was the best!

The reason Ducktails went for 100 is because that show was one of lets say "Early classic shows"!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:33 PM
I've left and so have VMK

trainz is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i have to say disney likes to break epesiode records i have seen some of their TV series almost go to 150
Old 04-20-2006, 03:59 AM
aka C.Diz
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 

Born In Park VIP
ClubDisCM is spinning in a Cursed Storm
To answer your question, I'm hoping Life with Derek will surpass the 65 episode rule. Hannah Montana too!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
I've left and so have VMK

trainz is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i hope KP and American Dragon do to
Old 04-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Queen of Junk
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Userpage Donation Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award 
Total Awards: 4

SweepHunter is Buried in TreasureSweepHunter is Buried in TreasureSweepHunter is Buried in Treasure
The only way to get around the rule is through the board of directors. The only way to save a show is to early on develop a strong fan base and show Disney that the show's fans are buying stuff and want the show very much.

Kim Possible has a very strong and loud group of fans so it will probably last a couple more years. Probably ever show on now will be gone at or before the 65 show limit.

The rule limits shows to about 2 years and does not allow for the full evolution of the show. Just when people finally find the show and start loving the characters then the show is gone. Some shows should end sooner and others that have a heavy fan base should stay on for longer.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Ranter
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Sarahisme is spinning in a Cursed Storm
What about that's so raven? I think it already might of passed the episode limit!
Old 04-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Queen of Junk
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Userpage Donation Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award 

SweepHunter is Buried in TreasureSweepHunter is Buried in TreasureSweepHunter is Buried in Treasure
That's so Raven will hit its 100th show in July 2006. It is the exception to the 65 show rule because, as state before, this show has a very large, active and dedicated fan base which has been able to influence the board of directors. As long as people are buying That's so Raven merchandise and watching the shows it will hang on but I think in the next year or two it will be history as Raven grows up and becomes an adult with adult issues. It is sort of like Sabrina the teenaged witch was cute until she graduated from school, went to college and got engaged.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:05 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

SpottedDog is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I know this is kinda dorky but I really loved Darkwing Duck. They should bring back those old shows.. infact I'll write a letter to Disney Channel. Of course, how would I know if the producers of some of those shows are dead or not.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Queen of Junk
Awards Showcase

I do not post my sources as someone little might go to those sites and start looking at R-rated discussions and shows.

You cna find on the internet the shows and the cast and crew. You then would search for information on the person on the internet. The cast and crew being alive or dead does not matter in the descision making of what shows are to be aired or put in DVD and VHS.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Where Dreams Come True

mickeymouse2818 ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
i think that the 65 is a relatively good rule. it does allow for writers and producers to keep coming up with new ideas in television. however if a particular series is doing extremely well and ratings are good, the network should allow the series to be continuing their run. the same extact thing is happening over at the Nickelodeon because currently the cartoon Danny Phantom has been cancelled only after 53 shows (which is currently ending its 2nd season and fans are working to save it) but thats a totally different story. i believe that is why ppl are having a hard time realizing the fact that if a series is popular and the network is getting praise for it, why cancel it. if that is the case, many fan groups of that particular show whatever it may be, can always call up the Head-hanchos and request for them to reconsider their decision. this is possibably the only way that we the fans can save our shows.