Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old Why?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:44 PM
:It's Churro Time:
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

jackthevmkaddict is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Post Why?

Why was VMK closed in the FIRST place? What was wrong with the game that was played the most among Disney online games the past few years? What was wrong with the game that hadn't even reached it's peak yet? The game was HUGELY popular! Why close it? I'm still trying to figure this out!

::Getcha Popcorn Ready:
Old 09-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Me on vmk and RIP Flip
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Born In Park
My Mood: Princess
bellaace is spinning in a Cursed Storm
They said it was a "promotion" but I think they just wanted to find away to make more money.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Keep Moving Foward~WaltD.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Dancing
Purplemysterystar is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Yeah it was a promotion for the 50th celebration. But i think they will bring it back. How do i know? I don't! Its just all you hear about lately!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Too lazy to post
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Busy
Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I think money is everything you hear about nowadays... Reading the newspaper, watching TV, surfing the web... Ooh let's all go outside and play sports instead! Oh wait, the equipment is too expensive, not enough MONEY to play...
Grr... Money...
I blame greed!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Was BrownRedDream
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner 

FrostyPenguins is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Yea i agree i think its actually because of the money
Old 09-22-2008, 03:03 AM
has Left the Building
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Graphics Trio Winner Award Graphics Trio Participant Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

DiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their headDiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their headDiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their headDiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Greed, selfishness, CHEAPSTAKES!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 AM
♥Sonny With A Chance!♥
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 2010 Which Disney Character Winner Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 9

My Mood: Sick
PurpleCrazyLava has turned into a sparkling Pirate!PurpleCrazyLava has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Very well put DiamondMeme...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Disney believed that they would save money if they closed VMK, so they did.

I believe that there was no definite way to measure VMK's financial success, so a few top Disney executives had to make the decision. They looked at the situation: they saw Pirates Online, Club Penguin, Toontown, and others dragging in the big bucks as pay-to-play games, so "common sense" told them to shut down the free game, VMK.

Please remember that this is only my theory on the closing; the only factual justification that we have is that the promotion came to an end.

Also, for the record, I thought the decision to close VMK was poorly made and I would love to see it open once again.

-Soccer

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 AM
I iz lazy.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Spooky Scribe Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood: Insomnious
Blossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in Treasure
Yeah, like everyone said, I think it was about the money..

Well, I mean, you can't blame them, they're a company, they need the money... but really, couldn't they just keep it open rather than shutting it down and making a buncha kids go whacko? They get tons of money from many things... (Hannah Montana being one of them LOL it's getting wayyyyyyy popular O_O and hsm and.. a buncha other things. LOL)

Or at least give an option to pay like club penguin or something...

I'm not really sure why they shut it down. Nobody knows for sure...

Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 PM
:It's Churro Time:
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

jackthevmkaddict is spinning in a Cursed Storm
You know what..

Maybe they closed VMK to teach us a lesson. Hey, we got spoiled. I think they closed VMK because everyone was whining about stuff like the infamous pirate quest, and all the inappropriate guest rooms. Maybe that's why.

::Getcha Popcorn Ready:
Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

VIP
My Mood: SaveVMK
ThrillJacob is as Frosty as a Snowman
Probably because of funding or a contract issue with Sulake. The theory on no pay to play was offered because that would require re-writing the code to fit the pay-to-play only features and Sulake was not interested.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 AM
OMG. I'm back!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Disney
SoWassup is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Well there are alot of rumors about why VMK closed. But maybe one of them is greed and money. It's reallu possible. It's sad if that was the main reason.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 PM
K- Boom Boom [Pow!]
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: Bahahaha
CoolStormyStar has turned into a sparkling Pirate!CoolStormyStar has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
They should open it back up!!! Know what?? Let's all send Letters!! Then take over the world!!!!!!!!!!! Muhahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*CoolStormyStar*
Thanks aggie for the awesome userbar!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:37 PM
ʞɯʇɐɐɯɯǝ
Awards Showcase
Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Winner Award Golden Years Award Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

Born In Park
My Mood: Disney
EmmaatMk is spinning in a Cursed Storm
well if it wasnt a promotion obviously, because if you go on vmk on the wiki, and go on "photos of the different stages of vmk history", it has a link to the first (before beta) homepage. the words: 50th celebration, promotion, or anything like that are NOT on the page at all. (credit to whoever said that, i cant remember who) I also believe that they thought they werent making enough money so decided to advertise the paying games and close vmk. but when vmk central was around, lots of people were in there (or at least they were the only time i got to go. i had to wait for a computer!) so that means people were coming to the parks to play vmk and do quests.

that is just my opinion, and thanks for reading. ~emmaatmk