Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other Games > Other G Rated Games

Other G Rated Games Discussion of other G Rated games...

Old The Pokemon Discussion Thread [Part 2]

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:57 PM
ʞɯʇɐɐɯɯǝ
Awards Showcase
Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Winner Award Golden Years Award Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

Born In Park
My Mood: Disney
EmmaatMk is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Derejin that sounds so complicated lol I just kinda battle with my pokemon and teach them the strongest moves.. I've never tried like boosting the stats and such, idk why xD.

Anyways, yeah torchic is better then turtwig i guess.. I mean fire>grass right?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM
VMK's New Arcade Man!!!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
PowerfulSonicMint is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Hey guys, I need help on this. Should I consider doing Pokemon again? Well, I've done it before and got over it after a while and I'm considering going back, so should I?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: AFK
Vivi is Buried in TreasureVivi is Buried in Treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derejin View Post
Mm, thought I might as well post. Heya everyone; yeah, I still visit VMKF. :P

Anyway, on the ongoing discussion about Torterra VS Blaziken.. well, if I went indepth, it'd be a lot, but let's just say it depends on their moveset and how they're EV'd(Which I've explained in the previous Pokemon Discussion Thread; dunno if it's still there). However, Blaziken does have a natural advantage against Torterra in more ways than just elemental; it has a higher speed. In competitive play, which I've trained my Pokemon for, striking first makes a huge difference.

Torterra still has a few moves and traits going for it, though, considering high DEF, along with Curse to boost up more ATK and DEF, since it's probably not gonna outspeed anything anyway. Blaziken is relatively fragile and a Curse'd up (or choice band, I guess) Earthquake could probably OHKO Blazkien. For Blaziken to OHKO Torterra off the bat, he'd probably require a Choice Band and a solid fire physical, like Blaze Kick.

Again, like I said, it's up to how their EV'd in the actual competitive play. :P

Been awhile since I've really gotten into Pokemon, but I still remember some stuff.

Oh, and Palkia, you mixed up the symbols; you said "torchics<turtwigs", which, literally translated, is "Torchics are less than turtwigs". The other sign means greater than(>). :P
Or Sky Uppercut

Last edited by Vivi; 08-29-2009 at 12:25 AM..
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner Smilie Story: The Beach Winner Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Trivia Winner Mod Match Participant Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: Festive
TheMagicWithin has turned into a sparkling Pirate!TheMagicWithin has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Hi Guys, lol.

Just a heads up: They are making a Gold and Silver remake!! It is official!

Heart Gold
Soul Silver.

Search for the trailer
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Awards Showcase
Epitaph Participant's Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Procastinating
Palkia is as Frosty as a Snowman
I saw the trailer xD
Beat that buzz.
Torchics are loved more than turtwigs.

I'm a scene kid XP
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Also known as Djar
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 2

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Happy
Derejin is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Yes, I knew about the HeartGold and SoulSilver versions, TheMagicWithin, and it looks pretty neat; along with the fact that I'll be able to raise a good Ho-Oh and Lugia. :P

Vivi, Sky Uppercut is a strong STAB(Same Type Attack Bonus; AKA Blaziken is Fire/Fighting, Sky Uppercut is Fighting, therefore it gets a 50% boost to power) for Blaziken, but it isn't supereffective against Torterra. :P

EmmaatMk, raising your Pokemon that way and teaching 'em whatever works for you is absolutely fine, really. However, I sometimes battle other people that do the more complicated Pokemon training techniques, (EVing(Check first Pokemon thread for info about that) or resetting for IVs(Basic stat bonuses a Pokemon starts with from being caught/hatched that cannot be altered) and as such, I need my Pokemon to be strong enough to face them.

However, although strong moves are fine, they sometimes aren't the best. Let's put this in perspective with Fire Special moves:

Blast Burn, a whopping 150 Base ATK move, is insanely powerful and, if used by a strong enough Fire type, can easily OHKO an opponent. However, it doesn't have 100% accuracy, so the possibility of missing is there(which also cancels the "recharge effect), or if it hits, the "recharge" effect can easily allow the enemy to switch in a Pokemon and set up something nasty in the free turn, such as:

-Stealth Rock(Any switched in Pokemon after Stealth Rock is placed will take passive damage based on that Pokemon's max Health and can deal supereffective damage to those weak to Rock)
-Buff move(Like Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, etc..)
-Substitute
-A move that'll probably OHKO your Blast Burn-user
-Other nasty things..

Now, let's take a look at Flamethrower. Base ATK of 95, which is quite solid; 100% Accuracy, so it doesn't miss unless accuracy/avoid modifiers are in play; no "recharge" effect, also nifty; and more PP than Blast Burn.

'Course, such effects also apply to other moves, like Hydro Pump to Surf, Fire Blast to Flamethrower, Heatwave to Flamethrower, etc...

The strongest moves available also may not be the best if you don't have very good enemy type coverage. For instance, let's say you have a Dialga with Roar of Time(150 base ATK Spec. Dragon, requires "recharge" turn, can miss), Flash Cannon(80 Base ATK Spec. Steel), Earth Power(90 Base ATK Earth Spec.), and Dragon Pulse(90 Base ATK Spec. Dragon).
Two attack moves of the same type on the same Pokemon usually isn't a good idea as it takes up another slot without adding more type coverage; stick to one or the other, or maybe switch out for Draco Meteor(140 Base ATK Spec. Dragon, can miss, reduces SP. ATK) to free up a slot for another move.
Dragon in itself is a good ATK type, as the only thing that resists it is Steel; no other types resist it and Dragon Types take supereffective damage from it!
Flash Cannon, although it would be a solid move, just doesn't have good type coverage. Quite a few Pokemon types resist it, and it only hits supereffective against Rock and Ice; Earth Power handles Rock in the first place, and Ice Types in general aren't very common.
As I mentioned a bit earlier, Earth Power can handle Rock, along with Fire and Steel; all three are rather common types. Plus, Earth Power hits pretty solid damage, so it's a good move to keep.

A good idea to change around this Dialga's moveset would be removing either Roar of Time or Dragon Pulse(Depending on which you'd prefer; refer to the Fire Spec. stuff I talked about earlier in this post) and replacing it with something that has more coverage, like Flamethrower. Flash Cannon is a poor move, despite getting STAB(again, Same Type Attack Bonus) boost from Dialga's Steel type, it's just not worth it. Ice Beam(Ice Type Attacks have great coverage all around; Rock, Ground, Grass, Flying, and Dragon all take supereffective damage from it) is a great replacement, as is Thunderbolt(Flying and Water types covered; both are rather common, and Thunderbolt has a chance of paralyzing)
Earth Power's fine as it is.

I could go even more in depth if you were gonna use something like Choice Specs, but I won't, as I've typed too much in this already.. @_@

Sometimes I just like to talk a lot.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 AM
ʞɯʇɐɐɯɯǝ
Awards Showcase
Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Winner Award Golden Years Award Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 

Born In Park
derejin- thanks for all the info on the attacks and stuff.. I read it all xD

Also.. speaking of heart gold and soul silver, their coming out in Japan soon!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 AM
A Key... blade?
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Guess the Picture Participation Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day 

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Awkward
Sly cooper is as Frosty as a Snowman
Yep! And, since the GTS will appear, be prepared for a swarm of red Gyrados on the GTS!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:59 AM
ʞɯʇɐɐɯɯǝ
Awards Showcase

Born In Park
Lol Sly_cooper. Yeah people will put red gyrados on the gts and want rare pokemon in return... just because it's shiny .

I don't like that the gts isn't getting an upgrade though. It's the EXACT same from Platinum. Yipee :P
Old 08-30-2009, 04:44 AM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 

Oh whoops, thanks for correcting me Derejin. But based on types, (this is basic stuff, before IV and EV'd stats come into play) wouldn't Sky Uppercut cause double the damage on a ground/grass type?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:49 AM
A Key... blade?
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Guess the Picture Participation Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day 

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Awkward
Sly cooper is as Frosty as a Snowman
No. Fighting isn't super-effective against either of those.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Awards Showcase
Epitaph Participant's Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Procastinating
Palkia is as Frosty as a Snowman
>.<
Blaziken PWNS!!

I'm a scene kid XP
Old 08-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Also known as Djar
Awards Showcase

Here Since Day 1 VIP
Y'know what I'm tempted to do..?

..Compare Blaziken to Infernape. No offense, Palkia, but if I were to lay out the advantages and disadvantages of each, Infernape would come out on top. If you want me to, I'd be glad.. :P

Meh, since I DO like to talk, anyone want any help in selecting a moveset/item for their Pokemon?

Ah, yes, I might as well post some info about Pokemon Natures. As you know, a Pokemon has a Nature from the moment it is hatched/caught that is unchangeable, much like IVs, which I won't go in to yet. Natures, like Adamant, Modest, etc., cause differences in a Pokemon's stats depending on the nature. All but five natures add a 10% stat bonus to one stat and decrease a different stat by 10%.. I'll go ahead and list them now.
(Note: Natures listed beside and beneath the same stat(I.E. under -ATK and next to +ATK) are neutral natures and will not affect the Pokemon's stats in any way. HP is also unaffected no matter what.)

...........ATK-...... DEF-...... SPATK-...... SPDEF-...... SPD-

ATK+...Hardy......Lonely......Adamant......Naughty ...Brave

DEF+...Bold.........Docile......Impish.........Lax ........Relaxed

S.ATK+Modest.....Mild.........Bashful.......Rash.. ......Quiet

S.DEF+Calm........Gentle......Careful.......Quirky ......Sassy

SPD+...Timid........Hasty.......Jolly.........Naiv e.......Serious

Whew.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Banned
Awards Showcase

Whoah; I never really noticed about natures. XD
Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 AM
Also known as Djar
Awards Showcase

Here Since Day 1 VIP
Well, natures are vitally important for competitive battle, but are nifty in general, too.
I mean, using certain natures really helps out for certain Pokemon; for instance, let's take Alakazam. Pitiful physical ATK, but awesome SP.ATK and SPD. Considering that physical attacks are practically useless if used by him, taking a nature like Modest(-ATK, +SP.ATK) or Timid(-ATK, +SPD) is basically like giving him free stats!

Plus you can take advantage in more complicated situations, like a Trick Room team(Trick Room is a move which makes the slowest Pokemon go first instead of the fastest). You could take anything that reduces speed and adds to something else to literally make the Pokemon faster due to Trick Room!