Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Disney Fan Club > Disney Gossip

Disney Gossip Disney related topics/non-VMK related

Old Winnie-the-Pooh to return in authorized sequel

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Dont be afraid
Awards Showcase
Design a Pin Participation's Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Cautious
TBs_Creation is floating through Inner Space
Winnie-the-Pooh to return in authorized sequel

Story Taken from USATODAY:

LONDON — The world's favorite "silly old bear" is back.
Publishers in Britain and the United States said Friday they will publish a new book of Winnie-the-Pooh adventures on Oct. 5. Return to the Hundred Acre Wood is the first authorized sequel to A. A. Milne's Pooh stories, which were first published in the 1920s.

It will be published in Britain by Egmont Publishing and in the U.S. by Penguin imprint Dutton Children's Books, they said in statements.

The new book is written by novelist and playwright David Benedictus, who has adapted several Pooh stories for audio CD, and illustrated by British artist Mark Burgess.

The beloved "bear of very little brain" first appeared in 1926 in Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh, which featured E.H. Shepard's now-iconic line drawings. The book and its 1928 sequel, The House at Pooh Corner, recount the gentle adventures of Christopher Robin — the sole human character, named after Milne's own son — and his animal friends in the Hundred Acre Wood.

The House at Pooh Corner ends with Christopher Robin heading off to boarding school, separated from Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore and the rest of his woodland companions.

The publishers would not disclose details of the sequel's plot, but Benedictus said he hoped his book would "both complement and maintain Milne's idea that whatever happens, a little boy and his bear will always be playing."

Michael Brown, who speaks for the books' guardian the Trustees of the Pooh Properties, said the Milne and Shepard estates had long wanted to authorize a sequel. He said Benedictus and Burgess had "captured the spirit and quality of those original books."

"We hope the many millions of Pooh enthusiasts and readers around the world will embrace and cherish these new stories as if they had just emerged from the pen of A. A. Milne himself," Brown said.

For an unassuming stuffed bear, Pooh has proved a highly lucrative character, with a tangled legal history. Milne's books have been translated into more than 50 languages, including Latin.

In 1930 Milne sold North American merchandising rights to Stephen Slesinger, who in turn granted his rights to Stephen Slesinger Inc. The company sublicensed certain rights to Walt Disney Productions, which created its own animated version of the character and has generated billions of dollars in revenue from the sale of Pooh products.

Slesinger, Disney and Milne's granddaughter have fought long-running legal battles in the U.S. over the rights.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Anyone can believe.
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Trivia Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Amuzed
acefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
OoO.. Yay Winnie.. xD
- acefredfred
Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 PM
o ɹ1ʎ¿
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

Born In Park Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Approved
.:Blue:. has turned into a sparkling Pirate!.:Blue:. has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
POOH BEAR! Man, I'm so glad he's making a comeback. I mean, who diesn't love Winnie The Pooh?